‘Levkas’ is derived fromo a Greek word meaning ‘white’.
· Heat 1 Liter of Rabbit Skin Glue prepared the day before in a bain-marie; never boil.
· Incorporate into it 2 pounds of alabaster powder. Use a wire wisk to get the lumps out.
· Add 1/2 teasponn of linseed oil for flexibility.
· Apply it to your panel warm in even crisscross layersand let it dry overnight.
· Apply several more layers. After which the mixture can be applied with a putty knife. Add a bit of water if the Levkas becomes too thick to avoid cracking.
· Sand to an egg shell finish.
Incoming search terms:
- traditional gesso recipe
- gesso recipe traditional